Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hi Mom, it's me, Casper the Friendly Ghost!

100% inspired by Emily Mills. Here's my two-cents.

Yarn: Nature Araucania Wool Chunky
Needle Size: 11 circs
Notes: For this hat, I based the directions on Knit One Felt Too's Classic Cloche, and used some cream colored wool I had lying around. After felting repeatedly in my teeny tiny bathroom sink (now I understand why Emily Mills charges $200-300 for a hat.. damn.. that was hard work), I took my scissors and went at it. Oh, did ya notice my awesome hat blocker? It's a round bowl stacked on top of my IKEA pot. Just the perfect size, 21-22" around. For the embellishments, I bought a yard (who sells roving in yards? Don't they sell them by weight?) of orange roving at my LYS when I picked up a set of felting needles. From then on it's just stab stab stab stab... very therapeutic if you ask me. Good workout for the flabbies on the arms too....

You didn't think that's all did you?....BAM!


Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Cher said...

Kick ass work, Winnie! V. nice.

5:37 PM  
Blogger marirob said...

Wow! What a great hat! I think it looks just as good as what's-her-name hats. Do I see a future as a hatwear designer?

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome. it's like an octupus-or-sun gone crazy, i love it.

5:53 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

Thats definately a $300 hat if you ask me!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

that hat is so badass! i love it! awesome work. :)

6:37 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Awesome hat!! It has a neat nautilus feel going on. I have to admit I've been lurking around your blog for a few weeks. Not bad-stalking-lurking, just good-admiring- lurking. :-) You do really beautiful work. I especially love your Lelah...I think I may need to cast on for that now!
Take care,
Chris

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you did such an awesome job on that hat! I am way impressed.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that came out sooo cool! i love the orange. Your i do shrug is beautiful too, too bad it's too long. I really admire your creative spirit, it's so inspiring! Thanks for sharing with us!

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this hat! and the felting is perfecto! By the bye, you have a super great BF if he holds the yarn as you wind... even better if he buys you a ball winder!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I. Love. That. Hat. Un-freaking-real, Winnie!!!! I don't even know what else to say. I'm going to go drool now...

10:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's so cool!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Killer hat. That is so awesome.

Great great job.

11:26 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Freaking cool. You look like a rockstar or a movie star hiding from the paparazzi.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool!

11:11 AM  
Blogger anonymous greyhound said...

hey, i just love this hat...i mentioned it on my blog and are sending people your way..freaking cool!!!

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH. WOW. I love that hat! Love it!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear to god, it's crazy, but I STILL have yet to connect my blog buddies with their CRAFTSTER names!!!!!
i need a little list with the aka's or something! I saw the hat on craftster and was like WOW! What a GREAT hat!!! Of course (and maybe due to the fact that your entire lovely face in concealed) I had NO IDEA it was MY WINNIE!!!
Feeling like I should be a blonde,
Christine

4:53 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Really freaking cool needle felting design on your hat. Have been meaning to get my voodoo on, but haven't really looked around for felting needles yet. Do they have them at A Mano?

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hat is totally awesome. Will worsted weight off-white auracania felt just as well?

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home