Thursday, July 28, 2005

Smell my feet

Unsatisfied with my first pair of socks, I've decided to cast on for another. Couldn't find any sock yarn in my little stash so I dug out a skein of sport weight merino and googled the internet for sock-knitting tips. Since my kitchener toes were looking pretty shady, I decided to try the Figure-8 Cast On for a pair of magic loop toe-up socks. Bwa ha ha, wonky toes no more. I'm working these babies on Sz 0 needles to get a dense fabric and have a total CO st count of 60. Couldve' done away with 56, but hey, I ain't complaining. Now the pattern I'm using does not contain any extra umph to it, so I whipped out my Summer 2005 Interweave Knits for the lace chart used in the Padded Footlets. Since I'm knitting toe-up as opposed to top-down, my lace is reversed. Hence, the arrow signs. I like them this way too. I'm about 1.5 inches away from turning the heels, but I just gotta document my progress along the way so I can refer back later on for the other sock.
Right now I'm only knitting one sock on one circular needle, but for those of you who are interested in the 2 socks on 1 needle method, here's the link for it.
-- Casting for 2 socks on 1 circular needle
-- And a pattern by Barbara to get you started too!
Last but not least, how about a pair of these? Vintage Footlets, yum! *Edit: Check this page for pattern errata on the footlets.
Oh oh... so, question. What kind of sock yarns do you recommend for feet pampering? I know there's lots of variegated yarns, but I think lace shows up much better in solids. Suggestions please.... fire away. And much-ass grassy-ass (mucho gratias)

8 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

your sock is looking good! so cute! and thanks for the vintage footlets link - gotta try that one!

1:38 AM  
Blogger natasha said...

man, so i can't even figure out how to do anything past making a heel flap and you taught yourself AND are spicing up the pattern. you suck. i think my socks soar book blows ass. but you learned!! i am so jealous. anyway, in that picture down there, you like like a super model. not fair! if i lived by you we couldn't hang out anyway, you are too tall and gorgeous. you would make me look bad.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joy and Ros are super neat! I love those ladies!
I'm digging the new layout on your blog too!!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joy and Ros are super neat! I love those ladies!
I'm digging the new layout on your blog too!!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joy and Ros are super neat! I love those ladies!
I'm digging the new layout on your blog too!!

9:02 AM  
Blogger =joy= said...

haha - we're so cool she had to say it THREE time! ^_~ great socks, chickee. maybe next you should use some cashmere... oooh...

8:40 AM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

Love these socks! I also have been eyeing the pattern...and you are so clever doing them toe up. LOVE IT!

4:31 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

how about koigu? vesper sock yarn? lorna's laces? bearfoot? hmmm I know theres more, but that's just off the top of my head

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home