Thursday, July 07, 2005

Can I knit socks?

So many knit-bloggers have posted pictures of their knitted socks.. and it's really tempting me. Unfortunately, I have a deadly dislike of dpn's. It's not that I can't do dpn's, I just don't like fiddling with so many needles at one time. I've been searching for sock knitting with the magic loop technique online, but haven't had luck finding step-by-step instructions for a long circular needle. Can anyone direct me to an available magic loop sock pattern ?
I managed to find some sock yarn on sale at the Yarn Garden, and bought the Regia 6-ply Crazy Color (05264) for $3 bucks a ball (I bought two). This is going to be my first attempt at knitting socks. Carolyn says that sock knitting is very addictive (exemplified by her growing collection of knitted socks in her blog), so I have to try it out. The intimidation of heel turning and gussets and insteps need to stop somewhere. And it stops here.
regia
And of course, the yarn buying doesn't stop there. Some days, a girl just wants to buy yarn, ya know? I was totally going to *look* for yarn for either (a). the Apricot Jacket, (b). Orangina, (c) Tivoli-T or (d). Clapo-2, but no... saw these fabulous Baruffa Maratonas for sale at 50% off. Did I buy yarn for the above-mentioned potential projects? No, of course, not. I bought 15 balls of yarn w/o any projects in mind. Now, hm, good thing they're worsted weight. Because ya know what? My Amelia Earhart hat was gifted to a friend and that gives me an excuse to make myself another one, and I have been wanting a pair of armwarmers for myself (in July, no less) for the longest time. Bwa ha ha... Okay.. so that's like... 4 balls worth of yarn. The other 11, is... most likely.. for this.. or a new Clap. We'll see... the possibilities are quite endless.
Baruffa Maratona
Now I know I am not being adventurous with trying out new yarn, but I know Baruffa Maratona, and I am in love with it's softness and warmth. This is the same yarn that I used for my Bella Paquita, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Can't beat 100% Extrafine Merino baby.
Edit: Thanks for all the encouragements y'all. I did an extensive googling and found the following sites for knitting socks using one circular needle.
(1) http://www.twocatsandagirl.com/archives/001133.html
(2) http://webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/onesockoneneedletoeup.htm
(3) http://stitchesofviolet.blogspot.com/2005/03/basketweave-ribbing-socks-pattern.html
(4) A generic sock pattern by Wendy

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the colors of those maratona yars are beautiful - and at 50% off, there's no need for guilt, in my mind at least... hence my stash, i guess.

;)

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.knittinghelp.com has a good video on magic loop. That's where I learned.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't tried the magic loop, but after knitting for 35+ years, I took a "socks on two circular needles" class and it was great! There is a sock pattern on Knitty using this method and also knits both socks at the same time...no second sock syndrome

3:48 AM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

I do one circular...I just don't think I would like having to deal with more needles! This is the site I found and taught myself, no problem.
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html
You can do it! I will be watching!

6:07 AM  
Blogger marirob said...

I also second the knittinghelp.com videos - here's the link
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/
Also, I found a great blog entry on how to avoid ladders when using magic loop.
http://www.knit1frog2.com/2005/05/magic_loopiness.html
Good luck! I think you'll enjoy it.

7:29 AM  
Blogger K8 said...

I haven't done the magic loop technique, but there's a pattern in Weekend Knitting for socks that doesn't involve a heel flap and turning and all that (the things that scared me about socks). I don't see why it couldn't work on magic loop too...

Sock knitting is addictive :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I saw this book on Barnes and Nobel.com today, thought you might want to check it out.....

Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw the top you told Joy about! It shall be mine!!! good find :)

12:11 PM  
Blogger natasha said...

magic loop befuddles me. i just remembered that i bought the socks soar book a long time ago, sure i would knit socks, and then forgot about it. i will go check it out. and maybe the original pattern again...

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you figured out how it works by now, but...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ shows a video of how to do magic loop knitting. Until I saw it, it really didn't make sense. Now it does!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home