Friday, June 17, 2005

Tagged

Joy has tagged me with the book meme. I think she did that to bring me out of my cubbyhole. Here goes nothing:

1) Total number of books I own?
Lost count. I usually donate them when I feel the occasional cleaning mood. Must make room. Must throw EVERYTHING. Mostly reference books for research, some novels, and now knitting books/mags are catching up. If I were to guesstimate, about 150+.

2) The last book I bought?
Teva Durham's
Loop-d-loop. Does that count?

3) The last book I read?
Okay, it's not as bad as it seems. But I received a gag gift from a friend and she bought me "
Tickle His Pickle".....(maybe I should not be THIS honest.. after all, the info is going on the Internets)

4) 5 books that mean a lot to me?
i. I'm currently into the new age thing. So all books by Carlos Castaneda. I lost my bf's copy of
The Art of Dreaming, so that is the last of the series that I still have to finish reading. It's the grand finale, so someday I will get my fat buttocks to the bookstore and buy another copy.
ii. I've enjoyed Gone with the Wind.. sappy I know, but hey, you asked. Read the book page to page in a week when I was 13. 13! Haven't re-read the thing, suspect I never will. But it brought back fun memories of sticking a flashlight underneath the blankets just so my parents wouldn't know I was still up at 11pm on a school night reading about Rhett and Scarlett's scandalous love affair.
iii.
The Alchemist. I was truly down when I read this book, and it made me feel that all is not lost after reading it. So that makes it memorable.
iv.
Memoirs of a Geisha. Great read.
v.
Piled higher and Deeper: a graduate student comic strip collection. Ha Ha. I know, it's a comic book. But that's where I'm at right now and it feels good to know I am not the only one in this warped universe of graduate student life. I take great comfort in knowing that I am not the only one who's suffering here.

5) Tag 5 people and have them fill this out in their blogs:
Crap, this is what happens when everyone else has already been tagged. Hm,
Andrea, help me out here. You're the whiz with the books and all. And um, let's see, maybe Natasha would like to take a crack at it. Yifaa and Tina? Hm? Kaitlyn, have you done it yet?
**********************************************************

In other news, not much knitting for the past week. I ran out of yarn on my One Skein Wonder. Damn it. Now it's going to be 1.2 skeins of wonder. I am digging the Geisha socks in Spunmag, but I haven't knitted any socks before. I got two skeins of bright pink yarn for it, so hoping I'll get around to learning how to knit socks. Do you have any suggestions for a beginning sock knitter? I see that there's this straight BO at the toes for some socks, but that doesn't look like any of the socks I own. How do I achieve the smooth toe look that store-bought socks have? I am really really new here. Much advice needed. And the stripey phildar top? Heh, haven't even CO for it yet. Ugh... need inspiration... or just someone to kick my ass to set me in motion. My momma's here for a month, so I think knitting should crawl at a snail's pace for the next month or so. Cheerios~


6 Comments:

Blogger =joy= said...

no cubby-holing! we missed you! (^_^)

o, here's the toe you mean:
http://hipknitism.com/classes/basic_ribbed_socks/lesson5.shtml

welcome back... maybe you need a KAL to get you motivated?

11:16 AM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

Hey, I love that sock pattern! I must show my Bro...he wanted socks with separate toe department! I just started knitting socks...beware, very addictive. I am using magic loop method...on one long circular...loving it! I have some links on my blog..under the ugly sock entries...they may be helpful. You have to graft the stitches for the toe...very easy to follow step by step.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For socks, they say to graft them. I like to a 3 needle bind off on the inside..but I guess that isn't really seamless, but it's quicker. My advice...if you're using dpns, knit tight around the gaps!...laddered stitches over the gaps are not cool.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Those socks are so cute! I've been boycotting sock knitting for awhile now, but I might have to break down and give it a try too! Have fun with your mom! :)

7:29 AM  
Blogger natasha said...

i can't read your blog!! the type is lighter than the background?? anyway, i have you bloglined...so i have not knitted socks but have the socks soar on two double pointed needles books, which looks cool. everything you make is amazing. i printed out that pattern as well. i love flip flops.

7:36 PM  
Blogger natasha said...

oh, i may have to embarrass myself with they tag, since my days of 500 pg books in an evening are over. now i make a hat in 2 hours. i suck. i have been reading the same book all month.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home