Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Mademoiselle Clapotis..and etc


(please excuse Le Crappy Foto.. I don't have my bf's digital camera with me)
Pattern: Clapotis from Knitty.com
Materials: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport in Jay Pond (3 skeins @ 200 yds/skein) and sz 7 needles
Notes: I read that alot of people were exceeding the 600 yds called for in the pattern, and since I cannot justify buying one more skein of this expensive yarn just to use a few yards of it to finish, I decided to drop down a needle size. Instead of the 13 repeats total in Section 3, I actually have more than enough yarn to make 14 repeats. Looking at the remaining yarn I have, I think I could have pushed it to 15 repeats total. But hey, now we know, right? One surprising fact was that I had no idea dropping down a needle size could cause such a big difference in yarn usage. Live and learn....ladies..live and learn

Afterthoughts: Love this yarn. It's next-to-skin soft and oh so buttery. In fact, I ordered more yarn to make another. This is some romney fleece (yea, don't ask me what that is) that I won from an Ebay seller (lidika..who is very nice and delivers her items in a blink of an eye). Isn't the plum and green gorgeous? There's 700 yds total, so I am going to use sz 8 needles for this one and not have to worry about running out of yarn. What do I do with 2 lovely clapotis you ask? One of them might end up as a gift, but I haven't figured out who to give it to.


Okay, enough of the clappy. Let me tell you what I'm really excited about. It's my sunday outing with the lovely Andrea. We were planning to check out the yarn stores together in my area, but it being sunday, and it being a lazy day, we managed to hit 1 outta 3 stores. The other two were closed. Closed?!!?! Blasphemy. Nevertheless, she was thoughtful enough to bring her Phildar magazine collections (yes, she has a collection. I'm so envious) and we got so excited talking about knitting and patterns that we decided to cast on for a summer top together. And voila, this is she. She of the 2004 Phildar Tendences (Spring). I want mine in cream and apple green. We both ooh'ed and ahh'ed over the boxy yet drapey fit (you know those summer barbeques are coming up.. and this would be THE top to hide the gut that would ensue). I am thinking Knitpick's Shine, since there's been nothing but raves and more importantly, it is cheap-o. Ooh la la.. I'm going on a French streak here.

So what is this method of doing stripes by carrying the yarn so you don't have to weave in a gazillion loose-ends? I have googled but still don't have a clear idea of how to do that. Jogless something, they call it. Can you lovely knitters impart this special knowledge? Merci beaucoup. Until next time, I bid you adieu...

9 Comments:

Blogger cmeknit said...

You got the Clap! Well it looks beautiful! Can't wait to see what you think of knitpicks shine...I love it. Don't quote me, because I knit in single colours..I have tried my hand at striping (not stripping...striping)and I would definitely carry the yarn up the side...the stripe doesn't look very wide. I believe you just carry the working yarn under the resting yarn all the way up...but I am not positive...try it out.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Your Clap is so pretty! And I absolutely love the colors of the yarn for #2. You have great taste!

Is the stripey sweater knit in the round or in pieces? When you finish working with one color, don't cut the yarn. Just keep it hanging there until the next time you need it. But make sure to give it a little slack or it will make the knitting bunch together. Good luck, it's a cutie!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

Winnie - if you can get your hands on a copy of "Meg Swansen's Knitting," she give great instructions on the jogless jog.
Cher

8:24 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

Er, that's "gives" great instructions. Gives. Really.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made that Phildar top over the winter. It turned out beautifully. I didn't stripe mine though. It's a quick, easy knit so you should be happy with it :)

Brit

7:10 AM  
Blogger xtina said...

I love the yarn you found on ebay...and Clapotis looks lovely. I made a striped glove/mitten once, and I alternated between two colors every two rows. I just carried the yarn up the inside at the beginning of the round, it ended up looking pretty neat on the inside, and no ends!

2:10 PM  
Blogger KarenK said...

You are THAT far on your Clapotis already?? Speed demon knitter! It's a beautiful color. I used L&L fr my Clapotis, too, but in Ravenswood, and have another on the needles, using a yarn from Brooks Farm. I love wearing my Clapotis, such a nice drape and so soft. As for the "jogless jog" check this out:
http://tiajudy.com/jog.htm

11:07 PM  
Blogger yuvee said...

Your Clapotis is so beautiful!! And I can't believe that knitted it up THAT fast.

8:52 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

how do i find the pattern for that phildar top? i cant seem to find it on their site...

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home