Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Dazed...

So recently, Andrea and I have been tossing emails back and forth about a little meet-up since we are both in LA. She mentioned Unwind, a yarn store in Burbank, and how she really likes that place. Ever since then, I've been curious. Curiosity turned into obsession, and I just had to go today. In a crazy state of mind, I braved the 6:30pm rush hour traffic and traveled across 3 freeways to check out the store. H.O.L.Y. S.H.I.T. The store was packed with so much yarn in so many colors and so many different fibers, I immediately entered a state of trance. The store-owner was really nice and friendly, and I just floated around and around the store. I think they introduced themselves, but I was too occupied with touching the yarn that their names totally slipped my mind. All I could think of was ~yarn...~yarn.. more yarn~. My eyes were totally glassy, and my brain was pretty much mush. See I had a goal.. I wanted yarn to make clapotis. Yea.. I know I am late to jump on the train..but after seeing Joy's and Kaitlyn's progress on their clappies, something about dropping stitches called out to me.
Bee-line to Lorna's Laces. Holy guacamole... this thing is divine. I didn't know what the fuss was about until I saw it in person. Granted, the colorways that I saw online were pretty, but nothing beats seeing and feeling yarn in person. I wonder if yarn feels molested sometimes...heh..

I could not leave without buying something -- after all, I did come from far and beyond. So I got 3 hanks of Lorna's Laces in Jay Pond. Ooh la la~ Clapotis here I come. Did I mention this yarn feels awesome-o? It's awesome-o. I would've splurged more, but I gotta eat too ya know. Plus, this sunday Andrea and I are meeting for the first time to go yarn-store hopping (doesn't blogger meet-up sound like online dating to you? It does to me) so I need to restrain myself. Yarn shopping alone is bad enough, can you imagine shopping with another fellow obsessive-knitter? *shudder* Must be logical. Must not be swayed by beautiful yarn. (we'll see how that pans out).

So I totally remembered how I got to the store, but after the purchase, still dazed and fucking delirious, I was totally lost. Kept circling around and around for half an hour before I could find the entrace to the freeway. High on yarn, my navigation was shot to shits. The drive home was a blur....Andrea, I don't know whether to thank you.. or curse you! I definitely envision myself in yarn rehab in a few years.. Hi my name is Winnie, and I am a yarnaholic.

*p.s. Natasha has gracefully accepted my offer on the mohair yarn. I hope she likes it. All 1200 + yds of yarn is winging its way to her now~

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't finding a new yarn store the greatest?? Looking forward to seeing your clapotis progress. I've been waiting for the perfect yarn to show itself for that scarf...someday!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee. hi my name is andrea and i'm a yarnaholic too. let's go shopping!

btw, i think they put something weird in the air there, i swear i've got lost many a time leaving unwind too.

;) see ya sunday!

9:15 AM  
Blogger =joy= said...

beautiful colorway! that is going to be one awesome clap. have fun at your meetup! (^_^)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

That's so funny about your yarn shop expedition. That sounds like something I'd do! Your Lorna's Laces is gorgeous. I'd be tempted to skip the food and splurge more. :)

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home