Monday, August 22, 2005

It's all about the lace..or not

I started the Diamond Fantasy Shawl on Sunday, and boy was I pleasantly surprised. Initially, I thought that I'd be doing a lot of re-knitting because the pattern appeared complicated, but I could not be more wrong. Sivia Harding is a genius! I am totally enamored with the simple yet beautiful design. What you see here is just the first repeat of the pattern and I'm loving it.









And guess what? I finally decided on a color for the Cherry Blossom Shawl. It's a lovely reddish/pink lace yarn by Handpaintedyarn. Two hanks of Geranio. And I purchased a hank of their Velvet Grapes just because. One can never have too many lace shawls or scarves. It's soft, it's plush... it's a nightmare to wind by hand. And that vinegar smell.. whoosh! Actually, I think I'll just try to go to my LYS and see if they're willing to wind it for me. Think they'll let me?

Maybe I can start hinting around for a ball winder for my birthday. I'll be turning 26 in two weeks.. so it'll be perfect timing. woohoo.

*Edit: I left to have a martini with my colleague right after I posted... and thinking that I am immune to the alcohol, I picked up the shawl and knitted away. Two hours later, all the yarn is now re-wound into the ball again. Ha ha... martinis and lace knitting don't mix, yo!

9 Comments:

Blogger K8 said...

A Mano will wind your yarn - I've never tried at any other stores. If nothing else they'll let you use the swift and do it yourself. I love handpaintedyarn.com - I've gotten alot of lace-weight from them. And it is a nightmare to ball :)

9:57 PM  
Blogger kris said...

yum, gorgeous yarn! and diamond is looking beautiful.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Diamond Lace it lovely - I adore the color.
Good Luck with it.

3:34 AM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Such pretty colors!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo, that shawl is gorgeous! As is the yarn you choose for the Cherry Blossom Shawl.

9:57 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Ack! I just bought some of that handpaintedyarn.com stuff but haven't tried to wind it yet. I desparately need a ball winder. Why oh why do I spend too much money on yarn! And the 'I do' is really looking pretty in pink.

2:11 PM  
Blogger cmeknit said...

yes, a ball winder will help! I do love that handpainted yarn though. I'm turning 33 on the 31st...I am going for it all...ball winder and swift!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winnie your Diamond Fantasy Shawl is fantastic. I ordered the pattern last week. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can start mine. Love the colors you chose for your latest projects too.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be afraid. I wound my Handpaintedyarn.com lace yarn on my ball winder (without a swift - still don't have one) and it really wasn't very bad. Love your CBS color. I'm looking for the right yarn for it also so I'm glad to see someone else knitting it. Janet

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home