Wednesday, August 10, 2005

You choose, I knit!

So my dear friends, it has come down to this. I cannot decide which colors I want for my Cherry Blossom Shawl. I am cheap - we all know that - so it will have to be one of KnitPick's color choices. I have narrowed down the color choices that seem doable for me below, and I will leave it up to you to make the choices.

Peppermint and Autumn are from their Alpaca Cloud collection, which is 100% baby alpaca. The bottom two - Sunset and Vineyard, from their Shadow collection, are 100% merino wool. Personally, I would have preferred a darker shade of Peppermint, but hey, that's just me.
A 5th option would be to purchase their Dye Your Own (in white), knit the cherry blossom shawl, then stick that whole shawl in a dye pot after I'm done knitting. That will be a new learning experience for me, since I have no clue in this whole dyeing arena. Unless someone is willing to do the dyeing for me after I'm done knitting, I will be forever indebted to you.
**Poll Closed. 82 votes total. Results: 35.37% Peppermint, 10.98% Autumn, 23.17% Sunset, 18.29% Vineyard, 12.2% Dye Your Own**

6 Comments:

Blogger cmeknit said...

Vineyard, just because.

4:29 PM  
Blogger =joy= said...

i say to dye your own BEFORE knitting... i ordered some orchid shine from knitpicks and the color looks COMPLETELY different from the one displayed. that's just my take tho...

7:30 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

So are you planning to just use one of the colors or a multi-colored approach? In the picture it looks like the shawl is pink & reddish. Either way, any of the colors you chose would be lovely.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted for the Autumn, because a friend of mine got some of that Alpaca from KnitPicks, and it is divine! And I'm partial to brown, but the pink would probably be a bit darker than it looks.

And I agree, if you go with the dye your own, dye it before you knit it. It would be devastating to have it ruined or turn out in a color you don't like once it is knit.

9:47 AM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

i voted 'dye your own'. i think it would be an adventurous project to knit it in white, and then dye it! if it's white, and wool, you can kool-aid dye it. you could get some nice effects by "painting" the colors on, or letting the ends or center sit in the dyebath and soak up the color, making a long fade ..... just some ideas.
or, take a look around at other shawls. what do you like about their colors? how are they dyed?
i dyed a finished 'one skein wonder'. i liked how the color came out uneven, "unsolid". my friend prefers to dye the yarn first, then knit. i don't like how the yarn is sort of 'stripey' then.
we're all different!
good luck with your choice :)

3:41 PM  
Blogger K8 said...

I've bought their Dye Your Own yarn and used Kool-Aid. I liked how it turned out and it was more fun than difficult :) Though Kool-Aid may be a little too neon for a shawl...

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home