Thursday, December 22, 2005

Just in time for Christmas

Of the few sweaters that I've made up to this point, the only one that gets heavy rotation is Raspy. Now that it's cold and nipply, a cotton sweater simply won't do. I've always admired the Hourglass sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, and so the timing was just perfect. Pattern: Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts

Materials: Baruffa Maratona (8 balls at 121yds/50g), sz 5 and sz 6 circular needles

Gauge: 20 sts and 26 rows to 4" in sz 6 needles

Notes: The pattern called for Noro Cash Iroha at a gauge of 19 sts and 28 rows, therefore I had to alter the pattern to fit my gauge (that and I was trying to stash-bust). I basically measured a shirt that I wear ala Diana's method, and knit to fit my own specifications. I decided to be a little adventurous and try the negative ease thing on this one, and made it with 1" negative ease. Could have gotten away with -2 or even -3, but that's for next time. Of course, having a long torso and long arms meant additional mods too. The body piece before sleeve attachment was 18", and the sleeves were at 22" a piece before joining them to the body. I followed the pattern guidelines roughly for the shaping ideas and also the yoke for the raglan shaping. For the hems on the lower body and the sleeves, I followed the no-sew-knitted-hem tutorial by Marnie. The less I have to sew, the better. Initially I was worried that I wouldn't have enough yarn since so many other knitters have run into yarn-shortage problems at the knit-along, so I decided to add the brown trims for the sleeves just in case. Turns out I have nothing to worry about. I still have 2 complete balls of yarn left.

For your viewing pleasure, here's a close up of my neckline and my sleeves...



In an unfortunate turn of events, BF won't be able to spend this holiday season with me. Quite the bummer. Here's why: Power-tripping U.S. Consulate Interviewers. He told BF that it's only been 3 months since he moved to Canada and that he didn't see any reason why BF should come to the States. Hello?!? Friends? Family? Lonely girlfriend? It's Christmas? That gentleman surely ruined my Christmas. I hope his Christmas sucks ass too. There I said it.

22 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

That looks so perfect on you!I love it!! Where have you been?

WTF? So Canada is holding your bf hostage? I'm so sorry. Is there any way you can go for a quick visit up there for new year's?

5:25 AM  
Blogger Terhi said...

It's beautiful, and looks lovely on you! :-)

5:44 AM  
Blogger Jade said...

I am sorry to hear that Winnie. That sucks! Yeah, I wish that horrible interviewer's Christmas is ruined too!

Loved your Hourglass sweater. After seeing so many gorgeous and fitted version, I might make one for myself too. Hahaha.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! *And* it's a stashbust? Win/win!

It looks great, and I'm saving the Marnie link for when my time comes to make another Hourglass.

6:47 AM  
Blogger sturdygirl said...

Well, crap. The last-minute nature of the boss' decision makes it especially mean. I second the earlier comment - can you visit for New Year's? Love your sweater - very nicely done. Hang in there, W.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sweater! Fits you very well, the negative ease seems to have worked. Wonderful color, too. Enjoy wearing it ;).

7:52 AM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

First of all, your BF's boss is a jerk and I'm so sorry that BF won't be home for Christmas! That's awful. I hope that means he'll be home for New Year's Day or Presidents' Day or Valentine's Day or... some other holiday that's coming up soon...

Secondly, your hourglass sweater is divine. DIVINE, I tell you! That color is smashing and the fit couldn't be better. I give you two snaps up for that one. Hourglass is soooo on my list.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Winnie. It looks great on you! I hope mine turns out just as good. I'm almost ready for the turning row on the next. Let's hope my experiment into negative ease works too.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

fabulous sweater, winnie! i love your mods and your color choice :) the brown adds that little extra something. you are SO good at this!!! thanks for the link on the no-sew hem (i suck at sewing).
sorry to hear about the christmas nazi holding your bf hostage in canada :( what a scrooge! hang in there!

9:16 AM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

That sucks about bf not being able to visit. It's quite unbelieveable really, especially since it's Christmas. I hope karma gets that consulate idiot good!
Your sweater is beautiful, you're like an even -stitch machine, it's just perfect :-)

9:21 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Ooooh, it's absolutely gorgeous, Winnie!! Looks wonderful on you! I'm so sorry that BF can't be there for Christmas -- that sucks!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Moni said...

I love how it turned out! Beautiful color!

Sorry about your BF not being able to come home. That sucks! How mean of the US consulate! grrr..

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater turned out perfect, i love the color too w/ the brown trim, nice! sorry about b.f., wishing you a great holiday!!

12:09 PM  
Blogger kris said...

sheesh, that's just horrible. where's the xmas spirit?

the hourglass is GORGEOUS! bloody hell!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, that guy sucks ass. Not letting your BF come home for the holidays. I'm so terribly sorry for you!

But I love the sweater!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

What a beautiful sweater and yarn. It looks really great on you! Guess a surprise trip up to Canada is out?

10:56 PM  
Blogger =joy= said...

darling, beautiful sweater, as usual... i love the sleeve edging! sorry to hear about the christmas annoyance... *BIG HUG* i am sending my bad voodoo vibes via internet to that guy...

*sends whammy*

12:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love your hourglass!

That guy that is keeping your boyfriend there- definitely a SCROOGE. Bah Humbug.

10:37 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

sorry about your boyfriend. hope you still had a happy holiday.
the sweater looks FABULOUS on you. it fits well, the color is great. just lovely!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous sweater! I love it ^^

9:48 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Hmm, your Hourglass really looks great. I love the color you chose and the contrast color on the sleeve hems. I'm planning to make this for the Harlot's Knitting Olympics. I'm just curious, did you follow the neck shaping as recommended in the pattern or did you decrease it at the neck a bit more. You don't seem to have the "flashdance" neckline happening. Oh and if you could elaborate a bit more for the negative ease and how you got such a nice fitting Hourglass? Sorry if I'm a pain, I just really like how nicely yours fit and am interested in having my sweaters fit a bit better.

awanda@gmail.com

5:20 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for the link to the no-sew hem tip! I'm doing the Hourglass for my Olympic knitting, so I think that will be a lifesaver.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home