Saturday, October 29, 2005

A knitting meme

I've been eyeing this meme that was started by Carolyn for the last few days and Mari has tagged me. Yay!

What is your all-time favorite yarn to knit with?
I will admit that I have not tried many types of yarn- due to budget constraints. As for the yarns that I've tried so far, it would have to be Baruffa Maratona - the extrafine merino that I keep raving about. It's soft, produces wonderful stitch definition, and definitely not itchy on the skin. In terms of practicality, I also like Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece- for the yardage and wearability.

Your favorite needles?
Addi Turbo. No doubt. I love how the yarn glides over it and it's lightweight make. I would prefer if it were sharper, that's why my only Addi's are in sz 0 and 1 for socks. Denise Interchangeables are good too - for their large range of sizes and sharp point.

The worst thing you've ever knit?
Ruffles scarf from Scarf Style. That was the first thing I ever knit and I didn't know how the wrong type of yarn can affect the finished product. It's so bad that I don't even have a picture of it. I used an aran weight cotton yarn and that thing weighed a ton. The funny thing is, I was so excited that it was my first knit that I gave it to a friend. Although she's accepted it graciously, she has never worn it - and I don't blame her. Heck, now that I think about it, I'm pretty embarrassed that I imposed that gift to her. Sorry, friend!

Your most favorite knit pattern? (maybe you don't like wearing itÂ…but it was the most fun to knit)
In terms of fun, I would have to say Flower Basket Shawl. The lumpiness of lace was magically transformed into a beautiful knit upon blocking and it surprised me to see how a few ssk's and yo's and k2tog's can make such a beautiful thing. I do wear it alot too, as a scarf.


Most valuable knitting technique?
Magic Loop. Hands down. I am geared towards efficiency. If I can do it with a pair of needles, there's no point using 4 or even 5 to do the job. That said, this is purely my opinion, and I do own a set of casein DPN's that's gathering dust.

Best knit book or magazine?
Monste Stanley's Knitter's Handbook. The discussion of the cast-ons and cast-off are truly valuable. Other than that, I also like to leaf through Interweave Knits for their articles. Reference-wise, I go to
Knittinghelp.com very often when I need to refresh my memory on techniques.

Your favorite knit-a-long?
Lucky KAL - because it's my first and included a steep learning curve. This was my first introduction to the world of wonderful and kind knitters and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Your favorite knitblogs?
It's difficult to pin-point a specific one since each knit blog has its unique contribution - be it writing style or presentation. That said, I do stalk
Diana, Lolly and Adele. There's tons of others, but I'd have to dedicate a whole page to them if I were to discuss them in detail.

Your favorite knitwear designer?
I like
Teva Durham's designs not only because I can see myself wearing them, but because some of her designs are very out there. Speaking of which, I do love me them Delphine Wilson designs too. Too bad she doesn't publish her work for us to worship.

The knit item you wear the most? (how about a picture of it!)
Ha ha, this is easy. R.A.S.P.Y. I've worn it 3 days out of the week now. It's a record! It's boatneck-ish, uber long sleeves, and just the right length for me. I mean, it's shown up TWICE on my blog consecutively. But all the time I was knitting it, I kept thinking to myself: It's a raglan sweater. I have to be able to make this top down. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm gonna make another sweater using raspy as a guideline and knit it top-down. What? You want a another picture? Okay..

Tag Time!
Hee hee. Lolly, Kris and Steph. Lolly because she has a giganormous stash and I am curious as to what she has to say, Kris because I just received a wonderful package from her from our Duplicates for Duplicates swap, and Steph because I love all her knits!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gilly said...

I love Raspy. I'm about to knit myself a raglan sweater (but top down) and yours is very inspiring.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Kaity said...

Hey I just stumbled upon your blog, and I saw that you made that Crosshatch hat, and I really like it! Where is the pattern, if you don't mind sharing? Thanks!

-Kaity

7:08 PM  
Blogger Kaity said...

Wait, disregard that. I found it!!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home