Thursday, September 29, 2005

Double Happiness

Now I am slower than most when it comes to finding good patterns, but ever since I saw this little number on Elann I've been very tempted by it. But to order all those yarn just to have a peek at the pattern? I think not. To my knowledge, this pattern book has sold out and is out of print. The last glimpse I had of it was on Ebay and sold for 20 buckaroos (not including shipping.. which was.. like.. another 6 bucks). Undaunted, I googled the internets and found one knitter who referenced this pattern book. Lucky for me, Kim of http://curliegirl.blogspot.com/ is kind enough to send me her copy in exchange for the Japanese wool yarn that I used to knit Stephanie's Spring Grass Socks. Whew, that was a long sentence. In addition to the lovely bomber on your left, I also fell in love with this cala-lily sweater here.
Guess I have to re-evaluate my opinion on sweaters knit w/ chunky yarn huh? And wait, there's more. How about this sweater that is on every knitting magazine this fall? So there is another point to this story here. After I sent my first email to Kim about this pattern book, I also emailed Schoeller-Stahl to see if they have copies of the bomber and the cala-lily sweater that I can perhaps purchase - cuz I thought my chances of Kim parting with this pattern book would be slim. Turned out that Skacel Collection is the US distributor of Schoeller-Stahl, and one of their representatives emailed me back saying that though the pattern is out of print, he could make photocopies of the 2 patterns that I like for me. Yipee! Instead what I found on my doorstep today was THE WHOLE PATTERN BOOK with a note that said: (note the pink pen)And then there were two....

Update: So Andrea brought up a question. "Will I be willing to part with one?" The answer is Yes. I received the pattern book from Kim as a trade - my sock yarns for her pattern. The second one was just by sheer dumb luck. If you love the patterns as much as I do, we could always do a My Duplicates for Your Duplicates trade. No duplicates? Make an offer - Cream Puffs sound good to me. Ha ha. Try me - I'm easy (in a good way.. tsk tsk tsk)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky! I tried emailing Skacel a month ago to get that pattern in all the knitting mags, and I kept getting bouncebacks. Must try again. Thanks for posting your find!

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, they're all three so great looking, really fresh and clean (i sound like an ad for soap..!) so.. how did you end up with *two* pattern books? and are you willing to part with one of them, haha.

no, really.


;)

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, i knew there was a reason i couldn't go to sleep: a trade would be fun! you know i have a whole heck of a lot of phildar mags, and even some rowan mags. i'll email you tomorrow with my list and see if anything catches your fancy..

;)

4:47 AM  
Blogger kris said...

i love them all! let me know if andrea's offer sucks ;-) (yeah, those phildar books are generally horrible!) and i'll make you an offer myself!

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is so nice of the yarn company! What luck!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

How wonderful of the yarn company!

9:19 AM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

I love that cably bomber sweater, too. Lucky duck! :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

would you be willing to trade your duplicate copy for a skein of aqua melon vesper? lemme know. thx!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Hi,

I've been reading your blog for a little while (I can't even remember how I came by it), and I thought it was about time I commented. I bought that pattern book just for the cabled jacket, but unfortunately my yarn choice (Patons Inca) left a lot to be desired, so it ended up looking horrible and I had to frog it. I hope you have better luck with it, and I can't wait to see how it turns out for you!

Emma

5:52 PM  
Blogger fishgirl182 said...

ooh i have been looking for that sweater with the circular pattern on it, too! no fair using something out of print for the fall campaign. i would so trade you something for it? what would you be interested in? i have a lovely ball of kidsilk haze in pearl and much more. i make lovely cream puffs, too, but i don't think we live hear each other. if i can't trade you, maybe you can tell me that mag #/edition so i can try and find it.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man how come I didn't see this post sooner? I have been eyeing that cardigan, seen on Elann, as well. If I emailed that nice representative would he give me a book too??
I don't have dups to trade but could we perhaps to a one-for-one photocopy swap...?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh man I'm uber jealous. I fell in love with the sweater with the circle the first time I saw it. You said cream puffs sound good what about homemade chocolate chip cookies? I'm not kidding either it's about the only thing I have to offer (teenager = no money for nice yarn (except when I beg my mother) and not having a large mag and book collection yet). Let me know, I would totally go bake them and stick them in the mail.

BTW, I'm not some creepy stalker person, I ran across your blog when I needed help with the Lucky Clover sweater.

-Sarah

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home