Thursday, September 22, 2005

Self Patterning Woes

Meet Exhibit A -- the highly acclaimed, highly coveted sock yarn. Her name is Opal.
So after knitting a few pairs, I thought I had gathered enough experience to splurge for a pair of Opal socks. You know, just to see what it's like. So I bought Exhibit A, pulled out a few yards of the yarn, saw that it had two repeating segments, and pondered: "Hm, self patterning. That should be interesting." I went about my usual routine - you know, the Sz 0 toothpicks and 60sts for my toe-ups, and knit knit knit. Holy crap. The stockinette looks like barf. Okay.. since it's so crazy looking, might as well throw in a Chevron pattern to see if that helps any. Woah.. more barf. Okay.. maybe.. ribbing would help - you know, conceal the color changes. Knit knit knit.. ah shit, that trick is for self-striping socks. Duh. Then I thought: "Must be the toe-ups. It's screwing with the patterning. Oh man.. does that mean I gotta do 'em top down?" So, CO 60 sts and knit a few rows just to see if any pattern emerges. Do you see any? Well, yea, neither do I. Self-patterning my ass. Is there some kind of a magical CO # that I'm missing? Shoulda gone with the Opal Uni's instead. Bleh.

7 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

oh my, that's not very self-pattering at all is it. Ive never used or seen opal, but a lot of the places that sell them say to use 1s or 2s to get the pattern. Is this true? I have no idea

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What knid of Opal is it - The new "animal" ones are lovely, I am also a fan of the Elemente and Magic versions.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, your post is hilarious. Maybe those little black spots *are* the pattern. It definitely doesn't look like its going to be striping.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried a self-patterning yarn once and I hated it. Although mine did have more of a pattern than yours do. I might try using Sz 1 before ditching it.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

like, whoa. hmm...maybe you need to go up in needle size? but dude, i TOTALLY commiserate with the whole self-patterning-sock-yarn-but-really-not woes. it was the knitpicks sock yarn in the hawaii colorway...drove me nuts. i do have a really spiffy cell phone cozy, though, and enough to make maybe ten or twenty more if the urge hits me. hehe ;)

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it a bright, minty green? I really like it. It's weird it's not striping! Which type of Opal is it?

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got some opal yarn for christmas once... i loved it but was frightened by the pattern written in german on the label. lion brand has similar yarn with a pattern to match on their website. using that the socks turned out quite nicely.

i found your blog from craftster & was delighted by your completed "lucky" sweater. yay!

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home