Monday, November 14, 2005

Stealth Knitting

Monogamy in knitting is over-rated. I know you all expect me to whiz through that Renaissance tunic in no time flat, but alas, there's been some stealth knitting on the side. Yes I'm cheating on the tunic. Seems to me that the current trend in knit-blogs these days is FairIsle Knitting... and I've also caught the bug. Now this multi-stranding business is not easy, and it also involves alot of frogging. I've been trying to translate the Herringbone glove pattern to English and I think I've finally figured out 50% of it. Here's a shot of my second attempt at the herringbone pattern: Update: Here are some helpful links if you choose to knit these gloves as well.
I'm practicing the two-handed technique with help from this great tutorial, sans the weaving part. Right now I'm just letting the yarn "float". There's still some tension problems, but I'm excited to be "multi-yarning" (you know I so totally made that word up). I've managed to translate the pattern until the increasing for the thumb part, and still a little stuck with knitting the fingers. A little help? So I know you want progress pics of the tunic.. and I will happily oblige. I've completed the back and front of the sweater, even did the 3-needle bind off for the shoulders already. I figured I might as well work on the collar while I'm at it and then start the sleeves. As you can see (or not) from the picture, my purl stitches are pretty uneven because the lower body is knit with recycled yarn that was frogged from a disastrous project. Will blocking help even the purl stitches? And which method do you wonderful gals recommend? I've already tried on the sweater, and it hugs me nicely, but the nasty uneven sts are giving me migraines. Steam blocking? Yes? No?

12 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

I love cheating!
The fair isle looks great, too bad I can't help translate : (

You could steam block it on the reverse side, that would help (don't let the iron touch it!). Or lightly wet block it making sure it doesn't stretch.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Jade said...

I am still very new to blocking so I can't contribute much in that area.
The herringbone gloves looks gorgeous so far.
You are still fast even though you are cheating!!! I am only just finishing up bella after about a month now. But I cheat too so I guess it's not really that long. =P

5:30 AM  
Blogger kris said...

i love those herringbone gloves! must try them! right now!

i'm not sure about the blocking, but i think wetblocking is the best option for straightening out stitches.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude that jacket is going to look stellar on you. i wouldn't block it too much either - you run the risk of flattening out the cables.

5:35 AM  
Blogger marirob said...

Both projects look so great - I know your Renaissance Tunic will look fantastic when it's done. For blocking uneven stitches, I'm a "dunk the whole thing in the sink with Eucalan" kind of gal, but I've never used steam blocking. It would probably work!

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The renaissance tunic is so very pretty.. yours looks nice so far. I think a wet-blocking is best for evening out stitches. Maybe try steam blocking, and if that doesn't do the trick, move on to wet-blocking.

7:01 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Wow, the fair isle glove is amazing!!! I love that pattern. And the tunic is coming along very quickly! You'll be done in no time.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I'd say wet-block it. I don't think the steam would be enough to get the fibers of the recycled yarn under control. Plus I think I heard somewhere that you should wet-block cables and put them face down on a towel to make them pop (and prevent smashing), but I could be wrong.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

those cables are meeeeeeeeeeean!!!! the fair isle's lookin' good, too. knit on wit' yo bad self!

12:27 PM  
Blogger sturdygirl said...

I agree, wet blocking is best for evening out stitches. I pretty much only do steam blocking, but it really doesn't do that much. You are making such great progress - you'll be done in no time.

8:43 PM  
Blogger chris said...

The rate at which you're knitting up that tunic (while cheating on it, no less!) makes my mind reel! It looks fantastic, as do your gloves. Thanks for the link to the tutorial. The glove looks beautiful- can't wait to see the finished pair.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't worry over recycled yarn - or uneven stitches - it all comes out in the blocking and wearing!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home