Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Oh..what to do what to do


Posted by Hello
Remember my current obsession with alpaca? Well a nice lady on ebay was selling her stash and I bought all 4 hanks for $20 total. Not a bad purchase, considering these babies go for $12/hank. Now I have 440 yds of bulky alpaca (in orange/peach... I might add), I don't know what to do with them. I've posted inquiries in craftster, but no one seems to have a good idea what to do with them also. I don't want a bulky scarf, and I want to use them all up, so armwarmers are out of the question. Speaking of arm warmers, I have decided that Hug from Magknits and I are not meant to be. I knit up another one, this one in slightly thinner yarn, and still have gorilla arms. Rip rip rip. Damn, at least I learned how to do the mattress stitch. So now that yarn is in the process of tranforming into the Hot Lava cardigan. We shall see.
Back to the bulky alpaca. Hm, should I make the Cathode sweater? The yarn appears to have the same chunkiness as the one specified in the pattern, but I am afraid that sweater will look too cropped on me. And I don't like showing my blubber. Or maybe I should just extend the ribbing. Oh gentle reader(s), if you know what to do with 400 yds of divine bulky alpaca, throw in some suggestions my way.


Edit- I just checked gauge for the cathode. My yarn knits up much much smaller than the gauge. I think it's actually fluffy, but knits up like an aran weight yarn. crap. Now I am totally lost.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

oh, that stinks! what kind of sweaters do you like? with 400 yards, you could probably make a tank top, but I don't know how practical that would be. I'll let you know if I think of anything!

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about... the "neck and sleeves" from Scarf Style? Its like ribbed sleeves and just the neck of a sweater. or maybe a shrug? I am all about shrugs lately, so that comes to mind. There are lots of patterns out there, and will be more in the Summer IK.

7:08 AM  
Blogger =joy= said...

i ended up making bulky legwarmers... i'm not sure where you are, but in the NY they're coming in handy all the time. but in peach? hmm... lemme think more. o, here's an idea... do knitty's cleaves but instead of using that front band, make it more into a shrug. i think the problem with hug was that it was too close fitting to the arms. maybe these arms would be better suited?

o, btw, casting on my hot lava tonight! (^_^)

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home