Monday, March 28, 2005

Side track projects

this weekend the first sleeve of the lucky is completed. now there's one more sleeve left to do, then basically the sweater pieces will enter the blocking stage. i've never blocked anything before, so i probably should scoot over to the KAL and ask the more experienced knitters what the best blocking methods are for cotton. anyhoo... some progress shots of my other diversions when i get bored on the clover laces.


This is the angora yarn that i was talking about in the last post that i didn't know what to do with. i can't say i am feeling the little leaves... so i started looking around the internet and decided that 1800yds of angora should be made into a Flower Basket Shawl. Alas.. that magazine is out of print and the only places that have them will rip me off 10 bucks just for that pattern alone. argh. i am too cheap to fork that money over.. so i guess i'm doomed to NOT make the flower basket shawl. but i'll still be on the look-out though.


okay.. on a happier note. this is minty hush slowly and steadily growing. still on the stockinette stitches right now.. so that's that.


and last but not least, when craving for instant gratification, just whip out a 10.5 needle and some Thick'n' Quick yarn and you got a basket to hold your yarn. The flower motif looks a little wonky here but i plan to make tons of these babies in the future with my left-over yarns. The design is by Nicky Epstein for the Vogue winter issue knitting mag.

alrighty.. if anyone has the Flower Basket Pattern from the Interweave magazine that they have knitted and would like to sell their mags, please shower your good graces on this humble newbie here. pretty please?!?!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

That basket you made is adorable!

Okay, here's some advice about Lucky.... Mine's made out of cotton too, and I spritzed it with water a bit before AND after I pinned it down. I think there are directions on seaming in the back of the Stitch n Bitch book. If not, I know there was an article written for Knitty awhile back. It's really not as scary as it sounds. Good luck!

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your hush hush. I would like to make one too, but was unsure about the recommended Halcyon merc cotton. What kind of cotton did you use, and how do you like knitting with it?

2:06 PM  
Blogger winnie said...

Hi Suz

I've never used the halcyon yarn but it isn't too expensive. I purchased my cotton yarn online and found it to be somewhere between a sport and fingering weight so I had to improvise and do some math.It's mercerized so there's going to be a sheen to it. If I had more Brown Sheep Cotton Fine, I'd definitely work with that. I used it for my Lucky and it feels really soft and wonderful. Hope this helps. Oh and by the way, the pattern is written out very clearly and so it would be pretty easy to make Hush. The stockinette takes forever though...

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your hush-hush is coming along beautifully! i got the yarn (halycon's) a while back but was a little too daunted to start it -- i heard on the knitty's boards that for some it was definitely too long. anyhow, your knitting is making me think about picking it up again, though the idea of 2s and 3s! yikes.

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whaa! Your Hush Hush is exactly the colour I had pictured for mine! I'm gonna get a thicker yarn, though, too, and just adjust teh pattern to make it work for the gauge I want. Seems like it wont be that hard...Looking good though :D

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home