Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Michelin Woman

There comes a time when you realize that you've been duped. We have all been victims of pretty pictures that we see in pattern magazines, and envisioned how magnificent our FO's will turn out. Such is the trickery of beautiful models and professional photography. I, on the other hand, have an iPhone camera on the day the FO shooting took place. No awesome cameras, grumpy knitter, and this is what you get.... just a "Meh...."

(Do not be fooled by this picture. That's the most flattering angle of the sweater)

(Notice how I am not smiling in the pictures. There is a reason. The truth will be revealed soon)

(Way too oversized batwings.)
(Trust me, I can gain an additional 50 lbs and this sweater will still fit)
(The side that the French model never bothered to show you)

Pattern: Phildar Gilet No 416-T4-159, Sz 34/36
Materials: Jaeger Baby Merino DK (13 balls in Teal), Sz 4 circs, 2 el-cheapo Walmart buttons
Notes: The pattern, though French, was pretty straight forward because it didn't contain complicated shapings. The finishing instructions though, were a hoot. Basically, this is what it said : "Attach fronts to the back piece. Don't bother trying to match up the stitches because it is impossible. Look at the diagram and use it as a guide." Hmph! Great. The yarn that I used is a superwash yarn, and when I wetblocked the pieces, it grew to monstrous proportions. What is it with superwash yarn and gigantic expansions? I think that's what contributed to such a floppy looking sweater.

I had grand hopes for this sweater, and spent 8 hours seaming this beast. I was going to find a kick-ass furniture store and look for a similarly shaped couch that the model was standing in front of and do the exact same pose for kicks and giggles. And then, BAM!, I tried it on. "Meh..." was about the best emotion the resulting FO elicited. Just "meh".

At first I wondered if I should just rip the sleeves apart, but it wouldn't be a cardigan now, would it? I have decided in the end to just make peace with it and move on. Oh sure I'll still wear it, we all need a tent sweater some time right?

And with that.. let's move on to better pictures of the Pimlico shrug in the outdoors. This is a drastic improvement from my bathroom shots. We must end this point on a high note. Yes we must.


Pimlico Shrug
(ahh..much better)
Pimlico Shrug
(collar up)
Pimlico Shrug
(and again, what the pattern doesn't show you in the book)

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Kim U said...

I couldn't figure out what could be wrong from the first few pictures because it looked great - how disappointing on the big "wings". I hate patterns that are like that. The pimlico shrug really does look great though!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Oi! It's such a shame that photos can be so deceiving. Thank goodness for ravelry. I do love the Pimlico shrug. That slouchy look is great on you.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

I guess they figured since we knitters can't see our own backs we don't need to know that they backs of the patterns look like.

It's a shame the backwings are so huge...it looks so cute in the first two pictures.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it definitely looks very comfortable, and you are all set for any 80's parties coming up!

Love the shrug, one of these days I'm going to make that sucka. Hopefully it will be as cute as yours is!

7:42 AM  
Blogger lomester said...

I have to admit: i like batwings. However, I would not like to have them if I was not planning on it. So I totally understand your pain.

The shrug is gorgeous though - I am so making that!

12:51 PM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

I liked that Phildar cardi as well, I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you hoped. Wouldn't it be great if knitting mags had a bunch of action shots for their sweaters, front, back, side, etc?

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that the Phildar sweater didn't turn out as you had hoped...what a major bummer! The shrug looks really good on you, though!

3:52 PM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

Well the shrug is lovely, and the cardigan is too, although I guess if the batwing isn't what you were going for it's disappointing. Maybe if you call it a dolman top you'll think it's more fashion-y?

7:19 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

What a bummer about the batwings, it would be one thing if the pattern was up front about it, but it's kind of false advertising to just show the front of a sweater and not show how the back fits! With that said, I think your Pimlico is gorgeous, and the slouchy look looks very cool on you!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

I've noticed that about superwash wool too... it becomes almost fragile . Such a pity about that sweater, because the first pictures really really look good.

8:39 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

The shrug is beautiful! I love the shape it creates from the side view. Sorry about your "meh" cardigan. We've all been there. :(

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am just so sick of all these finished sweaters you keep churning out, batwings or not. please send some finishing mojo my way.

9:07 AM  
Blogger yaiAnn said...

Well ain't that a bitch! Love how they never show you the sweater from all angles! Boo!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Moni said...

oh man! That sucks. That has happened to me on more than one occasion. I do love the shrug, tho! very cute!

5:54 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

ooh, ouch. I do not know who these people are who think dolman sleeves are *ever* a good idea.

good thing the shrug is so insanely gorgeous!

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After viewing the first few shots, I thought you were being hard on yourself. Well the batwings are a bit much on such a small frame as yours. Perhaps you can gift it to a slightly bigger friend and forget it ever happened? FYI, I shall have to attempt to hire you to translate my French Phildar patterns because I'd not idea they were actually rather funny in their directions!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home