Monday, February 11, 2008

New Year, New knits

Alright, I'm a little late for a new year post, but better late than never right, guys? Let's start with the end of year knits. First here, we have a pair of Lapland Mittens from Folk Mittens.

Project: Mittens from Lapland (Folk Mittens)
Materials: Leftover Baruffa Maratona (uber light pink and burgundy), and Knitpicks Merino Style (Pink), Sz 2 dpns
Notes: No mods to the pattern, and this was my first DPN project. I saw these short 6" balene DPNs at the LYS and decided right then and there that I need to expand my horizons and move beyond the magic loop. Love the DPNs, surprisingly, and went out to purchase more sizes in the 5-6" length for future mittens and socks. These mittens were a little tight on me, but they did keep my hands warm enough for my Mardi Gras trip to New Orleans two weeks ago. (Yes I saw breasts, and no they were not all pretty).

And because I didn't want my friend to lose me in the madness on Bourbon St, I brought along my newly knitted Moss Stitch Beret in super bright yellow. It is Big Bird on Sesame St yellow. Little do I know that Bourbon St attendees would show me up with even brighter costumes that obscured my yellow noggin. 

Project: Ken's Moss Stitch Beret
Materials: Cascade 220 (used less than a skein), Sz 3 for the knitted hem, and Sz 7 for the rest of the beret
Notes: I loved the provisional cast-on knitted hem. Look! Lovely. The beret turned out a little slouchier than Ken's, which is fine by me because I like my hats a little oversized. I may or may not have screwed up the decreases, but in the end my stitch count ended up just fine. Live and learn.
Moss Stitch Beret

So what is with the cold weather and wanting to live in your blanket? I've had 6 skeins of pure merino from Uruguay burning a hole in my stash the last two years and couldn't figure out what to do with them. Sure, a sweater would be nice, but this yarn pills too damn much. And then I found the perfect pattern.

Project: Pimlico Shrug from Knit2Together (Size S)
Materials: 5 skeins of 216 yd/skein pure merino wool from Uruguay, Sz 7 and 8 needles
Notes: Instead of 34" of lace knitting, I shaved off some length and ended it at 27". Since I CO provisionally, I just continued ribbing and joined the knitting in the round. No other mods to the pattern, and it is a dream to knit with this yarn. 
We've seen some cold nights here in California, and I've loved every moment of it. Why? Because I now have an oversized blankie to keep me warm. It's soft like buttah, and the perfect piece of clothing to keep me cozy while I knit. 

So there we have it. And lest you think I'm taking a break.. you'd be wrong. Project on the needles right now... tadah!

416-014
It's French, it's pretty, and it's..... one giant headache. Google translator to the rescue! 

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger yaiAnn said...

Love LOVE all of them, especially the big bird beret! Happy Belated New Year!

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record that hat worked well on Bourbon Street and it looks great on you. A perfect fit for the French Quarter.

The Shrug may be the softest thing you have knit. Can't wait to see the new FO!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT SHRUG! Seriously! I really need to cast on for it. Like, yesterday.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

i really like all of your knits - you have been busy since you r last post! that shrug has always caught my eye :) great colors for the mittens too!

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I would love to have the "French/pretty" pattern... If you send it to me I'll do the translation for you.
You can find me here:
http://leblogm.blogspot.com

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ! This shrug is really beautiful ! You say it's a french pattern, but do you know where we can find it ?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

What a beautiful little mitten!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your shrug is so beautiful

Motilou
http://doucemotilou.canalblog.com/

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home