Monday, June 25, 2007

My sales pitch

It is interesting that after 2.5 years of knitting, triumphing over lace, fair isle, cables and many a sweaters, I have absolutely no ability to crochet. I have drooled over Erika Knight's turkish slippers many times, and still can't get myself to pick up a hook to learn the pattern.

One time in a yarn store with a friend, I was browsing the Rowan magazines while he wandered around the store, checking out what it is about these yarn stores that draw me to them irregardless of traffic conditions on the 5pm congested freeway. He noticed the slippers on the cover of Erika Knight's Simple Crochet, and commented on how cool they are.


So fast-forward a few oohs and ahhs, and I charmed my way into a pair of fuschia colored slippers from a non-crocheter for my birthday this year. I'll knit him a pair of socks, and he'll learn crochet and make me the turkish slippers that I so desired. (If this ain't persuasion skills then I don't know what is).

"Fuschia? You want fuschia? Are you just trying to make this even harder for me or is that really what you want?"

(Now I would like you all to imagine an ex-football player with a crochet hook and two balls of fuschia yarn. A first-time crocheter, nonetheless)

Several months later, after much ripping and cursing on his part, my right foot was requested for a fitting. And of course, the crocheter can't help but marvel at his own work and demands photoshoots for his work.

I am mighty impressed. And hell, if he can do it, so can I. Guess who learned how to crochet?
Leftover sock yarn here I come. And stay tuned for the finished crochet slippers. It has taken months to get this far, I am sure the other foot won't be too far away. Yipee!

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you'rew able to figure out all the crochet tricks. I know it's a pain to learn but knitting is a pain too. I taught myself how to knit with little help, but I enjoy crocheting more, it's quicker. Good luck in all your crochet!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I admire your persuasion skills :0
To be able to convince a man to learn to crochet, and his first project is to make slipper for you! WOW!

8:25 PM  
Blogger marirob said...

So impressive of both of you! I really need to learn to crochet - I love your granny squares!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thoroughly impressed. It will take me 10 years to get as far as your friend did in a few months - crochet completely baffles me!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

look at you go!!!! that slipper is great! and what a pretty use for the leftover sock yarn!

6:58 AM  
Blogger lomester said...

I have had the SAME obsession with those slippers. I have tried, really to learn how to crochet. It is not happening. Congrats to you though!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What! What! What! Months???? C'mon now! Couple of days fighting with the yarn, that lil hook thingy, lot of cursing and, at least, redoing the first steps 10 times. Then couple of months off to rethink what I got myself into.
3 days later, VOILA!!!!
But you well deserve it and it was worth it.

8:47 AM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

wow, that's really cool! Both of your projects look great.

8:48 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Good for him! And for you -- the grannies are lovely, and the perfect way to use up scraps. :)

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned how to crochet way before I learned how to knit (self taught for both). I have been knitting for about 2.5 years also, and I have been crocheting for more than 20 years. Crocheting, to me, was so much easier to learn than knitting and crocheting for some is much faster, however, with knitting, it seems that the possibilities are endless and for garments such as sweaters, knitting is number one! Have fun with crocheting, you can make beautiful and fun things to with that one hook.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

You can totally do it! Look at the granny squares! Beautiful!

12:47 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

You are very persuasive indeed!! Nicely done - the slippers are going to be great!

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how cute is that? ex football player with crochet hook? you must take pictures of him =)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Josiane Mukasa said...

They look nice

6:32 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i love those turkish slippers.. i've made two pairs in the past couple of years. it's the only thing that i've really enjoyed using acrylic for ;)

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home