Monday, February 26, 2007

Swiss Cheese Scarf

I've had a few inquiries in regards to the Swiss Cheese Scarf over the last few weeks and figured maybe others in blogland may be interested in making one for themselves. This is mindless knitting to the nth degree, but the results are beautiful (if I may say so) and a staple to anyone's wardrobe.

The general idea is simple: Knit a few rows, bind of a few stitches, cast on the sts that you bound off the previous row, and knit some more. Rinse and Repeat.

Pattern: Swiss Cheese Scarf, my own.
Materials: Sz 3 needles, about 800-1000 yds of laceweight yarn
Gauge: not important, but my scarf is about 10-12" wide after blocking.
Recipe as follows:

CO 110 sts

Rows 1-6: Knit
Row 7: K5 (BO10, K8) 5 times, BO 10, K5
Row 8: K5 (CO10, K8) 5 times, CO 10, K5
Rows 9-14: Knit
Row 15: BO6, K8, (BO10, K8) 5 times, K6
Row 16: BO6, K8, (CO10, K8) 5 times, CO6
Row 17: Knit to end, CO6

Repeat Rows 2-17 until desired length, then BO all sts.
All rights reserved by me. Please use this pattern for your own enjoyment ONLY. Not for resale or distribution unless authorized by me.

I wanted an airy feel to this scarf, and just happened to have a bunch of laceweight yarn sitting in my stash. The same idea can be applied to any weight yarn, but you'd have to cast on fewer number of sts and play with the CO/BO number.

Edit: I've received a number of emails due to the holes not lining up properly. Apologies for those who have experienced frustration with this pattern, and special thanks to my readers for spotting the error. Thanks!

Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

It's really pretty. Thank you for sharing the pattern!

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me, your Swiss Cheese Scarf is awesome on the level of the Clapotis. Simple, ingenious, and original. Give yourself the credit you deserve! It's definitely going on my to-do list, albeit probably for next year.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Agnes said...

Very cute ... very special! Thanks for sharing.

7:54 PM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

Very cool :) thanks for the pattern!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

so pretty! a great alternate use for laceweight yarn!

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous! Thanks for the pattern!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh, that's wonderful. Thank you for the pattern! It's so cool that simply binding off one row and casting on the next will form those big Os.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple but very well-executed. Thanks for sharing!

5:23 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

think i'm gonna have to try this one.... so lovely!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oooh pretty. Thanks for the pattern!!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

That is beautiful - I'm definitely going to make one. I love your use of a fine yarn for a stitch that's usually associated with something chunkier.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the pattern. I happen to have a huge skein of laceweight languishing in the stash. I must have started, then ripped out, dozens of traditional lace motifs.
But this Swiss Cheese will do quite nicely.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

I'm bookmarking this page. I have a ton of laceweight in the stash, but can't bring myself to knit lace patterns. Thanks!
-Lola

11:08 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That scarf is too cool. It's great.
Thanks for sharing.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

STRANGER!

*hug*

i'm in a funk too. hopefully i can get out of it.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back in blogland. I really like the projects you choose - I kept checking your blog periodically to see if you had posted anything new...
(from a fellow yarn fiend)

8:02 AM  
Blogger JD said...

A great and very mod pattern! Thanks for sharing it!

11:01 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

awesome! I'm so excited to have a pattern for this!

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't stopped by in a long while- your stuff looks great! i love the hole-y scarf and the argyle vest. very nice.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

May I ask your method of casting on around the holes?

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pattern. I'm going to get started right away, but I'm wondering about row 16. If I start out with a BO 6, aren't I going to be decreasing by 6 stitches every 16 rows. All the other BO's and CO's balance out except for the BO in row 16. Is it a little mistake or am I just not getting it?

7:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looove the scarf! I just happen to have some lace-weight alpaca that will do the job right well.

Many thanks for the pattern.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Mette said...

Thanks for sharing this pattern - so simple yet so effective, I love it!

5:00 AM  
Blogger judy said...

Did you ever make any changes or corrections to this pattern. I can't get the numbers to work with off setting the holes. It a cute idea.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

Thank you so much for the fix! I had gotten there on Sunday, but it is good to see that my changes were correct.

This is a lot of fun to knit!

1:39 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

Can you tell me if row 16 is correct as written in your blog entry?

Thanks for such a lovely pattern!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This scarf is great and how kind of you to share the pattern. In your edit note you mentioned that there had been an error. Is it corrected in the pattern printed ?
thanks

8:37 PM  
Blogger - Sandi - said...

This scarf looks fantastic, really interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Methinks a two-tone version might just be a go-er...

8:57 AM  
Blogger diane said...

i join the crowd in agreement that your scarf is utterly wonderful!!! i just had to get to knitting it up .. and then i got to line 8 and realized that i dont know how to cast on on a wrong side row .. apparently you dont cable cast on cause that must only work on the right side rows. help .. i cant find on the internet how to cast on in the middle of a wrong side row. thanks so much
diane
:-)

3:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just what I was looking for! Something for long drives and for when I need to look interested while watching sports with my hubby.
Thanks so much.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely scarf !!!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home